Sunday, September 25, 2005

Getting there: half the battle

From DC: 7 hours to Milan, 8 hours to Bombay, 2 hours to train station through Bombay traffic, 27 hours on the train to Chennai, and 3 hours in the taxi to Auroville!

We're finally HERE. I'm at a complete loss to describe everything I've seen and felt in the past week. All of the excitement and awe over this new, colorful, noisy, bustling world is mixed with profound sadness over the conditions here. The train ride was much more emotionally challenging than I was ever prepared for and I struggled with a lot of self doubt. Between the communication barrier, the heat, the endless beggars, the noise, and miles and miles of slums and shantytowns, I was nearly in tears more than once. Still, we also saw breathtaking scenery, met a very kind family, and saw our first monkey.

Now we're in Auroville and loving our new community. Everyone is friendly and helpful, we are 15 minutes from the Indian Ocean by moped, and there is a kitten living in our commune. Dogs, cows, and goats are as abundant as the people and everyone has free reign on the roads. Our new friends come from Iceland, Germany, and Bombay; it has been easy to communicate with everyone in English.

Tomorrow we will meet with Satprem, the architect who has been advising us. We'll begin finalizing the details and hope to start construction the following week. I'd better get my yoga in now!

1 Comments:

At 6:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Sweetie!
I am so excited for you and impressed at what you have accomplised! What an adventure and your faith is a real testimony.
We are all great. I guess you heard Lisa and Chris's news. they are so excited and so are we. she is hoping for a girl and Chris a boy. They will be happy with either. I am going to B'ville tomorrow and see everyon. I am so excited! It has been 2 years since I was there. It is hard to believe!
I'll write about the trip when I get back. I am going to my 35th high school reunion. That will be interesting!
Keep up the good work and the faith!
love, AD & UB;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home